Every mother wants the best for their children. When they get sick, moms are the first ones who worry. Alex Dempsey went to pick up her son Killy from Daycare because her 4-month old baby has a fever. She thought that it was just the flu or a stomach bug so she let him rest and relax for a while. Little did she know that her son is already having symptoms of an illness that would put his life in danger. After Alex brought her son home, Killy started to show some serious rash and she grew a bit concerned. Tylenol was not helping with his fever and she knew that something wrong is going on with Killy. She immediately rushed him to the hospital where Killy was diagnosed with meningitis.
Meningitis is an infection that can be life-threatening for babies but with adults, it can be prevented with a simple vaccine. The doctors made Alex understand that the infection didn’t just appear on its own. There was a report that another person from the same daycare also suffered from the same infection but this infected person was not vaccinated for meningitis. Meningitis results can be fatal because this directly affects the brain.
It can infect the membranes that are covering the brain and the spinal cord and this infection can come in different forms. Meningitis symptoms include fever, nausea and vomiting, stiff neck, muscle pains, and also rashes.
The symptoms may show from one to four days making the diagnosis more threatening because of late detection which reduces the chances of survival. The viral form of infection is the least frightening but it is not the same for the bacterial infection that Killy caught from the unvaccinated person.
According to the CDC, it is recommended that all children should be given a meningitis vaccine when they are between 11 and 12 years old, and another ‘booster’ when they are 16 years old.
An unvaccinated adult can carry the bacterial infection in their throats or sinuses and there may be no visible symptoms. Killy was very young and this is the reason why his immune system was not strong enough to fight off this life-threatening infection. Sadly, this baby passed away because of the infection in less than 24 hours after he was brought to the hospital. Killy’s mom shared her thoughts with WTVR saying:
“The moment they said meningitis I knew there was a really strong possibility that we were going to lose him… He was only four months old he didn’t really have an immune system to help us with that.”
Alex clarified that the doctors and health officials confirmed that they have been tracking this issue down and according to their theories, an unvaccinated person was carrying the bacteria around and Killy was unlucky enough to come in contact with this person. Alex wants people to be aware that vaccinations can prevent incidents like this. She knew that because he was just a baby, he really didn’t have much of a chance.
Losing a child is heartbreaking especially when you know that as a parent, you did everything on your part to make sure that your baby is safe from any harms and dangers. Alex stresses out how important vaccination is. Killy was too young to handle the infection and there was nothing that can be done to save him. As the family mourns the death of Killy, everyone is hoping that the whole family would be able to get through the pain and grief of losing this little angel.